Most people are aware either intuitively, or through exposure to the many written research studies and books that the male and female brain are wired very differently. A commonly held opinion is that these brain differences are established through hormonal changes occurring most predominantly at 5-7 weeks in utero, at the onset of puberty 11- 13 yrs. and to a lesser degree in early adulthood around 18 yrs. of age.
The following questionnaire my help you to understand your relative male or female thinking style.
If you are interested in a more detailed presentation on this subject that includes Food, Emotions, Historical & social influences download Seymour Koblin’s video lecture: Yang and Yin Health and Relationships and
5 Elements of Health and Relationship
- You hear an indistinct bark. Without looking around
how well can you place the dog?
(a) You can point straight to it
(b) If you think about it you can point to it
(c) You don’t know if you could point to it
- How good are you at remembering a song you’ve just
(a) You find it easy and you can sing part of it in tune
(b) You can only do it if it’s simple and rhythmical
(c) You find it difficult
- A person you’ve met a few times telephones you. How easyis it for you to recognize that voice in the few seconds
before the person tells you who they are?
(a) You’d find it quite easy
(b) You’d recognize the voice at least half the time
(c) You’d recognize the voice less than half the time
- You’re with a group of married friends. Two of them are
having a clandestine affair. Would you detect their relationship
- a) Nearly always
- b) Half the time
- c) Seldom
- You’re at a large and purely socIal gathering. You’re introduced to five strangers. If their names are mentioned thefollowing day how easy is it for you to picture their faces?
(a) You’ll remember most of them
(b) You’ll remember a few of them
(c) You’ll seldom remember any of them
- in your early school days how easy was spelling and the
writing of essays?
(a) Both were quite easy
(b) One was easy
(c) Neither was easy
- You spot a parking place but you must reverse into it — andit’s going to be fairly tight squeeze:
(a) You look for another space
(b) You back into it.. carefully
(c) You reverse into it without much thought
- You’ve spent three days in a strange village and someoneasks you which way is north:
- a) You’re unlikely to know
(b) You’re not sure but given a moment you can work it out
(c) You point north
- You’re in a dentist’s waiting room with half a dozen peopleof the same sex as yourself. How close can you sit to one ofthem without feeling uncomfortable?
(a) less than 6 inches (15 cm)
(b) 6 inches to 2 feet (15 cm to 60 cm)
(c) over 2 feet (60 cm plus)
- You’re visiting your new neighbor and the two of you are talking. There’s a tap dripping gently in the background.Otherwise the room is quiet:
(a) You’d notice the dripping sound immediately and try
to ignore it
(b) If you noticed it you’d probably mention it
(c) It doesn’t bother you at all
- You feel confused about an experience that occurred at work or in your home life. a) You talk about it with someone you trust to better understand it b) You wait at least an hour or maybe even a day before you speak with someone about it c) You don’t speak of it to anyone until you have figured it out for yourself
- When making love you prefer a) darkness b) dim lighting c) enough light to see your partner’s eye color
- When deciding whether to enter a close and possibly sexually intimate relationship you first: a) establish safety and trust by matching words with actions b) establish sharing of similar life style and/or ideals c) use your intuition
- When packing for a two week vacation you: a) write a needs list in advance and pack at least 8 hrs in advance of the departure time b) carefully make a list in your mind and pack the night before or early the same day of departure c) wake up, pack and go to the airport
- When driving to an unknown destination you: a) follow the map or (guidance device) and ask for directions at the first hint of possibly being lost b) look at the map the night before, pay careful attention to signs or (guidance device) and only ask for directions if you are running late c) trust you will find your destination and only ask for directions when things seem hopeless
- When going on a date you prefer: a) to know at least 48 hrs in advance where you are going and who might be there so you can prepare energetically and physically(e.g. what to wear) b) to know in advance of the time and date but the details are only moderately important c) to be surprised about where and who will be there
- You enter the shopping mall to buy a pair of warm boots for winter. a) You get sidetracked by all the other stores, bargains and new winter inventories. It takes you a half hour before you finally get to the shoe department at Macy’s b) You see and feel all the possibilities of other stores, bargains and new winter inventories but by using your willpower and a promise to yourself to look after you get your boots, you arrive quickly to Macy’s shoes and buy your boots. c) You go directly to buy your boots at Macy’s and are proud that you accomplished your mission in 20 minutes.
- You are at a club on a Saturday night enjoying the music when you notice someone across the room that looks attractive. He /She walks over to you, looks you in the eyes and with a sincere tone of voice asks you; Will you make love with me tonight? a) You, using a brief sentence or explanation say in effect an emphatic “NO” b) You find yourself considering it but your sense of reason predominates and you say “No” c) You are intrigued by this person’s attractiveness and either the surprise, mystery or the challenge of this situation motivates you and you say, YES.
- Which two of the three qualities below are most responsible for maintaining long lasting marriages and partnership relationships?
1) Trust (consistency between words and actions and the ability to work through and resolve conflicts),
2) Romance (creative communication where ideals are shared between partners in a sensorially pleasing environment (e.g. dinner at at a nice restaurant, holding hands in nature, soft background music),
3) Passion ( an extremely stimulating, compelling soulful connection expressed by highly sensual and sexual energy.
Again, which two of these three are most important to you?
- a) Trust, Romance
- b) Trust, Passion
- c) Romance, Passion
- Without any forewarning, you receive a note from your boss saying that your services at work ( a job you like ) are no longer required and to please take all your personal belongings from the office before the end of day. a) You immediately call your best friend to communicate your surprise and to discuss what happened in hopes of making some sense of the situation. b) You inquire within yourself to get some understanding for half an hour before you talk to someone else at work who may help you understand what happened. c) You either 1) enter you boss’s office unannounced, demand an explanation and fend your right to keep the job or 2) After a moment of reflection, You tell yourself, “that’s life and it must be meant for you to be elsewhere.”
Scoring the test
(a) answers = 10 points
(b) answers = 5 points
(c) answers = 4 points
Unanswered questions count for 5 points
Masculine oriented brains will score between 80 and 120.
Feminine oriented brains will score between 130 and 200.
The overlap — scores between 100 and 130 – indicates a thought compatibility between the sexes.
Male scores of less than 100 and female scores above 140 point to a more extreme ‘wired’ brain than average opposite sex thinking…yet differences also attract.
Male scores above 130 may show a more feminine brain bias.
Females who score below 100 may show a more masculine brain bias.
There are deeper differences that are beyond the scope of such a simple test. Those differences are best explored.